Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Tasty Tuesday

From time to time, I like a very low key meal that requires little prep and little cooking. That is when I turn to my crockpot. One of my favorite things to make is a recipe stolen (then tweaked) from a good friend in Pharmacy School, Brynnt Smith DeCheubel. Its a Tex-Mex Chili. My mother lovingly refers to it as the "clean out the bean aisle chili" which is funny because she won't eat chili- period. Jim claims that this isn't spicy enough for him so if you have a love of extreme spice then you will need to tweak.

Tex-Mex Chili

Ingredients:
1 lb. ground turkey
1 can diced tomatoes (low sodium)
1 can diced tomatoes with chilies
1 small can of corn (low sodium)
1 can black beans
1 can pinto beans
1 can northern beans
2 pkg of ranch dressing mix
1 pkg of taco seasoning (low sodium)

Directions:
1. Brown, rinse, and drain the ground turkey. Place in crockpot on low setting.
2. Add both cans of tomatoes (do not drain) to the meat in the crockpot.
3. Drain each of the beans (as best as you can) then dump into the crockpot.
4. Drain the corn and add to the crockpot.
5. Add the packages of ranch and taco seasoning. Stir well.
6. Add water to fill up the crock pot (this step can be optional if you like "hearty" chili). I like this chili with a little more water so that there is plenty of liquid to make my tortilla chips soggy.
7. Let cook for 8 hours on low or 4 hours on high setting of crock pot.

Serve with tortilla chips, cheese, and sour cream (or plain greek yogurt). I made this for my work crew several times and always got rave reviews. I highly recommend it for a group gathering.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds good! Billy claims he doesn't like gr. turkey, but I think I can disguise it enough with this so he won't know!

    ReplyDelete