Powered By Blogger

Sunday, February 5, 2012

On to Greener Pastures?

As many of you already know, I recently accepted a new job. Don't get me wrong. I love what I currently do. Taking care of all those kiddos is wonderful and rewarding. It can also be incredibly heartbreaking. I have seen some terrible, awful things that I would hope that none of you all ever have to see up close. I have also witnessed some miracles and have been amazed at modern medicine.

At the same time, my current job is ridiculously stressful. It is high paced and very demanding. It is after all an ACUTE care facility. I respond to emergencies and codes along with dealing with lots of STAT orders and demanding medical professionals. Most days after an 8 hour shift, all I desire is a nap and complete silence.

I am a Type A personality who demands perfection and unfortunately when placed in a high paced environment, I became a whole new level of uptight (this is my nice word). At the end of the day, I was very unhappy and felt like work consumed my life. That had to change. Not just for my own mental health, but for the sake of my family (current and future). 

My new job seems to be greener pastures. It is less hours per week. I will work less weekends and less holidays. The trade off is that I will have a smaller salary, but money can't buy happiness or time together as a family. The work will also be very different from what I do now- a lot less order entry and a lot more check pill boxes for nursing home patients. It the opposite end of the spectrum as far as my patient area is concerned- pediatrics to geriatrics. But, I also feel like it will be a new challenge and will force me to bring out information that has long been filed away.

I could very well end up hating my new job because it isn't enough of a challenge. But, I don't believe this. I believe that God sends us what we need when we need it. This job came along after months and months of praying that God help me figure out what was best for my family and for myself. God doesn't make mistakes. Therefore, I believe this job is a blessing that will allow me to pursue the other goals I have in my life aka becoming a mom.

Jim and I are so ready to start a family. We will be doing this soon (but no we are not currently pregnant). I am sure once I am pregnant then this low key job will be just what I need. So despite all the comments that some people have made that I will be "bored out of my mind", I am so ready to be bored for a little while.

So here is to new beginnings and greener pastures!

No comments:

Post a Comment