Powered By Blogger

Thursday, January 5, 2012

To Resolute or Not to Resolute?

As you all know, with the beginning of the New Year brings about deciding on resolutions to attempt in the coming year. There is an air of hope and determination that no matter what resolutions you decide upon that you will be able to conquer them over the year. But, what about the year after that??

For many years, I made the typical resolutions: Get fit, lose weight, exercise more, study more, take more chances, lighten up, be nicer, be a better person.... Let's just say that I have never been able to conquer one of these and make it stick any longer than a month or so. Thus, making me feel like a complete failure. I am a type A personality who believes in perfection. Sadly, I can never achieve perfection.

As I grow older, I am starting to see the need to accept chaos and understand that perfection is a myth. I recognize that I put unrealistic expectations on myself and sometimes even on other people. No one is perfect. No two people are going to do things exactly alike. Unless you can stay at home and not work ( and don't have children to run after), the house is going to be messy and laundry may pile up. The dishes may not always get done immediately after dinner. These are all things that stress me out and cause me to feel inadequate.

Luckily, I have an amazing husband who never makes me feel bad that things aren't spotless in our house (more that he wouldn't notice unless the place was reeking). He does he best to help me out, but sometimes needs direction. I appreciate all the help he does give especially when it is unexpected and I didn't ask him to do it.

So I have decided that I am not making resolutions, but simply going to evaluate what are the important things is life and focus my energy on that. For 2012 (and all years to come), I am going to "focus" on my relationship with God, my family, my friends, my health, and living life to the fullest. I will (try) to no longer beat myself up for the little things that really don't matter and cause undue stress. I will be more easy going and wake up each day with a hunger to focus on the important stuff and not sweat the small stuff!

Cheers to 2012 and a new frame of mind!

No comments:

Post a Comment