Powered By Blogger

Thursday, June 13, 2013

The "Birth" Story

Hello my blogging friends! It has been a long time since we have chatted. There is so much to catch you all up on so where to begin...

Let's start with my last post welcoming the new year. I mentioned being put on bed rest which continued throughout the end of my pregnancy until about a week before my due date. Unfortunately, my body decided to respond negatively by causing a rise in my blood pressure. This required a few extra trips to the OB's office and having to have my labor induced. Yuck!

I had planned all along for a natural birth. I had read several books and had my birth plan in writing. Breathing had been practice along with positive affirmations for my husband to shower me with during labor. I had purchased a "birthing ball" and did daily exercises to loosen my muscles for labor. I was semi-diligent with my kegel exercises. I had packed my hospital bag with focal points and Mozart CD's. I was ready to do this au naturale!

PSYCH! My body decided that was not happening. My OB compromised with me. She allowed me to just break my water and not start Pitocin right out of the gate. When they broke my water they discovered that Lucas had pooped in his amniotic fluid. Strike One. They were worried but allowed me to bounce on a birthing ball to get things moving. I was required to get blood pressure checks pretty regularly. After about two hours (and two centimeters), my blood pressure was dangerously high. Strike Two. I was ordered into bed where I was "encouraged" to lay on my left side.

This was the exact time that I started having active labor. My contractions came on fast and hard. My plan had been to battle through the contractions with walking or swaying.... anything but laying down. Flat on your back. Or in my case, on my left side. Because I wasn't allowed to get out of bed.... I was not handling the contractions well at all. This also caused my blood pressure to jump even higher. Strike Three. My OB was forced to give my IV blood pressure drugs which really didn't help.

My OB was concerned about Lucas at this point so made the decision that Pitocin had to be started. I knew I was not going to be able to handle the intensity of the contractions from Pitocin without an epidural. So I caved. The anesthesiologist came in and gave me his spiel about the drugs. I found out that originally he was a pharmacist before he went to med school, so I was pretty impressed. Then I found out he was an Auburn fan... I wanted a new doctor. Just kidding ;-)

Most people don't know but I have a metal rod in my lower back as a result of severe scoliosis. Unfortunately, it resides in the location where they place an epidural. The MD poked me the first time and couldn't get the epidural to go in. He was hitting the bottom of my bar. So, he had to stick me again in another area lower down my back. Luckily it worked.

The great thing about epidurals is that they make you feel nothing! And they also lower your blood pressure. Which for some women is a problem. For me, it was marvelous. Everything changed. I relaxed and was able to get some rest. They increased the Pitocin at a steady rate. My contractions were off the grid, but I FELT NOTHING! Not even a twinge or a pinch.

By 3 pm, I was ready to push. My husband was a great coach and counter. One short hour later, we welcomed our baby boy, Lucas.

My short story is nothing compared to some women... but the moral of my story is that things don't always go as planned. I had a plan, but God had a different plan. His plan taught me patience beyond measure and a unwavering faith that he would see us through. My reward was a beautiful, healthy baby boy.






No comments:

Post a Comment