Powered By Blogger

Thursday, September 29, 2011

OKLAHOMA!

I finally made the trek to Altus Air Force Base in Altus, OK. Given all the negative comments I have heard from Jim, his Pilot friends, and other Air Force spouses... I was NOT super excited about this trip. Well, other than I got to see Jim, who had been away for a month. But, being the dutiful Air Force-wife-to-be, I felt that I needed to experience this place at least once. Especially since we could very well get stationed there in the future.

I flew into Oklahoma City on Wednesday. (One of the best commerical landings I have ever had.) Jim picked me up and we stayed in OKC that night. We spent the next day exploring OKC (the art museum and the zoo). I was not impressed by this "big city" at all. It just lacked character that said "Hey, you are in Oklahoma! Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains!" But, OKC did offer us a reprieve from many days at Altus.

On our way back from OKC, we stopped for dinner at Meer's. I have to say if you are ever in southwest Oklahoma... you must stop here! Although it doesn't look like much from the outside... the food is delicious! By far the best fried green tomatoes I have ever eaten and homemade peach cobbler for dessert!



Altus is a small base with not much to offer. Jim's room was even smaller, but it was just cozy enough for the two of us. The base does have a bowling alley, a pool, and a fitness center. There is also a golf course and a 2-mile walking trail. All of which I consider to be perks.

The town of Altus is pretty small. It reminds me of Pikeville, KY where I was born. They have a Wal-mart and a few other interesting stores. I saw one gym facility and one coffee shop. Sadly, there is no Starbucks. I wasn't appalled by Altus like most people. I grew up in a town smaller than Altus, so it just felt like going home. If I can survive 18 years in a small town, then I can survive 3 more with Jim by my side.

So bottom line... I would gladly call Altus home for the small price of Jim being home more.

2 comments:

  1. There used to be a Starbucks!!! There is a cute little independent pharmacy in that building now :) Altus does have the perk of being home, but so do Alaska and Hawaii (at least much more so than McChord or Charleston do!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. or you could go PACAF and have the same husband time. ;o) home is where the air force sends you! and there used to be a place in altus that "proudly served starbucks coffee". ;o) love you!

    ReplyDelete